Posted on 05-5-2016
A first-year electrical apprentice has been rushed to Royal North Shore Hospital following a fall of approximately five metres at the Barangaroo construction site in Darling Harbour.
The incident occurred shortly after 8am today when the apprentice fell through a temporary floor cover over one of the service risers.
The apprentice, employed by the National Electrical and Communications Association (NECA) Group Training company and working for Stowe Australia, was being supervised by another apprentice at the time of the fall. This second apprentice raised the alarm.
Officials from the Electrical Trades Union attended the site immediately following the incident and have already identified a number of other safety breaches, including workers being exposed to live electrical cables.
The builder, Lend Lease, has moved to stop all riser work in tower three until a review of the electrical contractor Stowe Australia has been undertaken.
ETU organiser Stewart Edward said that the apprentice suffered leg and back injuries.
“From what we know so far, the apprentice appears to have suffered leg and back injuries after calling approximately five metres,” Mr Edward said.
“He was treated on the scene by ambulance paramedics and has been transported to Royal North Shore Hospital.
“Thankfully, his injuries do not appear to be critical.
“Today’s incident is the latest in a string of safety breaches on the Barangaroo site, including some that have resulted in workers losing their lives.
“Both Stowe Australia and NECA Group Training have a legal responsibility to provide a safe work environment.
“If it is found that they have breached their responsibilities it could lead to prosecution of both organisations, which is something we will be looking at very closely.”
The union informed SafeWork NSW, with inspectors attending the scene to carry out their own investigation.
“This incident could easily have ended with a tragic outcome,” Mr Edward said.
“The ETU will be pursuing this matter to ensure that this kind of incident does not occur again.”